Thursday 22 January 2009

Summer challenges

I've finally started both of the challenges for the summer.
The first and the hardest to start is the two balls of cotton for the Woolybutt challenge (http://www.woolybutt.com.au/) It took me ages to figure out what I wanted to do. As we're giving away the resulting articles, it did have to be something useful.


I've had i-cords running around my head....finally.....I'll knit a little top, starting from the top (underarm) with eyelets for an i-cord tie. I started from the top as it's a long time since I've knitted for small people and I don't know how far the yarn will go. I've also knit it flat, as this is a design in progress and I thought of buttons down the front. With a change of mind, I'm going to sew it up and embellish it with hearts!.....yes hearts....


I'll then finish off with i-cord straps that can be tied to fit the eventual owner and perhaps make room for growth.

The next competition is the Esme Johnson Prize, run by Yarn magazine. Lynne Johnson has donated the prize in honour of her mother who loved the knitting stitch, feather and fan. I've participated in a couple of Lynne's classes several years ago at the Wangaratta Stitched Up Festival and she is a wonderful teacher.
I've also had this beautiful very fine yarn sitting around since attending a Margaret Stove workshop. I thought I'd combine the two into my current obsession and make a pair of feather and fan fingerless mittens. I think I have enough small buttons and though it is extremely fine and I'm finding I can really only knit this during the day, I am enjoying this and am pleased with the result.
I just have to finish both in time!

1 comment:

thestoryofkat said...

very nice yarn colors, that lavendar really does look delicate and hard to work with. good luck with the competitions, the pieces look so lovely already!