Pages

Saturday, 25 April 2009

Onion skins

Friday and today have been days to cook up onion skins and create some new yarns to work with.
The idea was to mordant with copper coins then dye with red onion skins.
Unfortunately I think I've learnt something I've suspected for some time: silk is selfish and steals all the mordant and dye. The change from the previous dyeing wasn't great, however, upon first putting the silk in the dyepot it turned yellow then proceeded to take up the brown.
They all did turn out lovely as I removed the silk early, put back the copper coins and left the wool in.
It's a lesson well learnt, but now I have some lovely yarns for next week.

No comments: