Tuesday 20 October 2009

Summer School crazy

I've been invited to run a class at Summer School for the Handweavers and Spinners Guild, so I've finally done some samples and decided that the class I had decided to do was doable in a day.
I decided that combining a whole lot of techniques into one yarn would give people a range of new skills or ideas, have a wild yarn and finish the day by knitting it into a simple neckwarmer.
So, first, spin a fat single:














Then, create a wild bat full of allsorts of bits, in this case, very simple, silk waste:


















Spin that up:














Then I thought that we could add in some extra commercial yarns to give either texture or colour, and whilst we were plying we could create some great knots.
The resulting yarn looks like this:















You can see the big fat knots (I love them):






Then I thought that we could knit a simple neckwarmer, on really big needles. I think it's good to show how these crazy yarns are really easy to use. They knit up quick and have a fabulous wow factor.




And here's another I did earlier, which is a bit more sedate?
















I hope the class runs, as this is going to be fun!







No comments: