Wednesday 24 February 2010

Drawing in the Botanical Gardens

As part of orientation week for the DVA (Diploma of Visual Arts) is a day drawing in the Melbourne Botanical Gardens. Last year was rather daunting, as while I had done drawing classes, I was (and to a certain extent still am) extremely reluctant to draw in public. However, if you're going to sign up for something you might as well do it right!


Drawing is extremely important, the basis for everything that follows, an artform of itself, and it forces you to LOOK. During the process of a drawing it's fascinating to suddenly realise how closely you are looking and what you can see that you certainly didn't notice when you started.
There was significant improvement. For a start I did TWO drawings, though not completed, were taken as far as I was going to on the day. I felt far more confident. And I tried a different approach, 'encouraged' by the drawing teacher I had last year, to start working tonely with graphite, rather than with lines. I quite liked this and look forward to trying this out in the Life Drawing classes I'll be doing this year.
PS They do look better photographed rather than in the flesh!

1 comment:

thestoryofkat said...

love the tree trunk..i'm always amazed how the simplest of lines can define something just right.

it's interesting to read about how you look at something when drawing though...it's been years since i was an art student in college but there really is a difference when you see something at such an elemental level for drawing.

good luck in your class, looks good so far!