Friday 3 May 2013

The Queen of Canine Spinnables!

Sometimes a project comes along that you just have to do. It's a challenge and interesting and, more importantly, it's of special importance to someone. Just such a project has come my way thanks to the meeting place that is my local cafe 'Bien' at the Greville Rd shops.

One of my 'neighbours' has asked me to spin Samoyed hair from her previous dog. She has collected the 'blow' each year from her Samoyed and kept it. She has also lent me the book 'Knitting with dog hair' from which the 'Queen of canine spinnables' come from. This was obviously a special friend and  a labour of love.

Some has already been some spun in Tasmania and a lovely job. She has a little knitted sample and the halo is just amazing. It's like Angora rabbit and you could argue just as soft.


So, with all this in mind, I need to spin to match the current sample, but I want to create something that will reflect my own interests and fulfil the need to have something that reflects the relationship. At the moment we're contemplating a woven rug and I want to keep it as simple as possible and add interest by spinning two different yarns: a plyed yarn to match the sample and a single to add contrast.

These are my first samples and I'm very happy with them.


Now I have to spin bigger samples, 10g plied and 10g single. This will give me an idea of how long it will take and, more importantly, how much length I'll have to play with!



1 comment:

Mary said...

Hi Teresa, I have a bag of our dog's hair, it was given to me in the hopes I would use it. I had NO IDEA what to do with it. It actually doesn't smell that nice, so I might have to find out how to conquer that drawback. Did you have a problem with that?