Friday 7 June 2013

Abode

Abode was the theme for my work last year and relates to the structure we live in, not really referencing the idea of home, which is not necessarily a physical place. As I look back over the last twenty years and the journey that started with the Cerificate of Art in Studio Textiles at the Melbourne College of Textiles it's interesting that the theme crops up in a variety of work. (By the way neither the course or college existed when I finished the course and now the course also doesn't exist in any form..all a bit sad, really)

I've been pondering this, and have come to no conclusions. I've never been particularly attached to a house, even my parents' home which I grew up in and where my parents still are. 'Home is where the heart is' really rings true for me. My parents, husband, children, sisters, wherever they are, are the places in my heart. So this preoccupation with the physical reality of the home is interesting.

I'm now aware of it, so it comes into my drawing:



And what I'm working on:


No comments: