Tuesday 28 June 2022

Plastic exploration - an artist residency

 Well it's finally started. Delayed twice due to the COVID-19 pandemic but finally, I'm installed in the Mungga artist studio 1  at the Ivanhoe Library and Cultural Hub. Mungga means 'to make' in the Woiwurrung language, so nice to be part of the whole exciting hub.

The idea is to continue weaving with plastic, creating new works, but in particular, 3D works. I'm going to collect materials from the local Ivanhoe shopping precinct. I'll be there for the whole of July and propose to work Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, with the alternating Saturdays and Sundays. There are workshops planned. In addition, as a bonus, my big work 'Water' is to be part of the exhibition 'Change' which is in the Loft exhibition space. It should be an exciting install.





Day 1 was really about shifting in and trying to make the space look interesting. I did some repair work on 'Water' and just found my way around. It feels nice to have a space to myself where there are big tables to work on and space for the looms and materials.


Day 2 I spent adding more 2m woven plastic lengths to the already 8m of 'Water'. Big takeaway of the day was how slow I'm working! Did get faster though, so it's probably just early days, but I do want to achieve something this week.

I love the people that have dropped in already, it's lovely seeing how people perceive your work. Also interesting what you learn from them. My never-ending nylon thread was probably used for the hems in garments....why didn't I think of that!

No comments: